Date: 8/23/17 1:58 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Warblers also in Ozaukee County
At Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve I saw 7 American Redstarts, 2 Black-and
White Warblers, 1 Black-throated Green, 1 Blackpoll, 1 Chestnut-sided, 1
Ovenbird, and 1 all but certain Wilson's Warbler (too brief a look).
At Forest Beach Migratory Preserve I saw 2 Northern Waterthrush, 1 Canada
Warbler, 1 Magnolia Warbler, 1 Common Yellowthroat, and 1 Black-and-White
Warbler.

While I was at Lion's Den I thought I had seen 3 Swainson's Thrushes fly
across the trail, but could not get a confirming look, so I was happy to get
looks at 2 at Forest Beach, indicating that they indeed have arrived.

Off topic, the trails at Forest Beach are worth taking just for the
wildflowers now. The west side was particularly good with several species at
their peak. I also noticed a huge number of dragonflies. Since I don't know
them, I can't report on whether there is a large variety of species, but
there were certainly more dragonflies than birds this afternoon.

It might be wise to use a little insect repellent before you go into the
woods at Forest Beach. I thought there were probably a lot more birds to be
found there, but since I was spending more time swatting mosquitos and
scratching bites than watching birds, I did not do a thorough job of birding
the woods.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County

http://www.avg.com