Date: 8/23/17 9:00 am
From: <chicagio10...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET 8/23 AM - Burnham Prairie NP, Cook :-(
After wishing the water level lower all spring and summer, I'm now in the position of wishing it higher. There is still pretty good habitat on the west, south pond but the west, north pond is bone dry. The only water in the east ponds is at the southeast corner. Further complicating things was a Merlin swooping back and forth. Obviously, an August Merlin is a nice thing but I was there for shorebirds. One flyover Lesser Yellowlegs and a solitary Solitary Sandpiper were the only shorebirds of note.

Not to make this report all sour grapes, Burnham was actually a bit birdy. Most surprising was the 4 Tennessee Warblers I found.

FYI... I started the day trying to get to Rainbow Beach but it was closed. A quick look at twitter suggested that they might be filming something there. It'd be nice if the park district would do a little better job of letting people know. At least a sign, or something.

Anyways shorebirds are still tough in Cook county but it seems like passerine migrants are starting to appear.

Cheers!

Carl Giometti
Chicago

Join us on Facebook!