Date: 8/23/17 6:28 am
From: Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Not Much To See- Grand Tower Island (Perry County MO/ Jackson County IL)
Hi all,
One addition was made while checking over my photos, I had a Baird's
Sandpiper on the Illinois side, which is a lifer for me. I passed it off
as a Least Sandpiper in the field, but the buffiness, scaliness, and the
size next to an actual Least Sandpiper make it Baird's. It's not quite a
Neotropic Cormorant, but it is a species that's eluded me for a bit. So I
did get something out of today, after all- U.S. lifer #295. Not a bad way
to end my very last day of summer!

Jared Gorrell
Jackson County

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...>
[ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I went over to Grand Tower Island today (8/22/17) again, to see if I could
> get a definite Neotropic Cormorant. As usual with that nemesis species of
> mine, I didn't. No Anhingas, either. All of the Cattle Egrets I had
> yesterday are gone as of sunset today, along with about 2/3 of the Little
> Blue Herons and many of the Snowy Egrets. Shorebird numbers are down at
> this site too. There wasn't anything particularly exciting in that
> department, but after seeing a good mix of them in Kentucky I was hoping
> for more from this somewhat similar habitat. What is up are Bank Swallows-
> I saw several hundred that I would record as Bank, and many more that
> probably were but were too far off to tell. Tree Swallows are also moving
> here, too- a few hundred of them. I'm not sure if the Double-crested
> Cormorants have increased or not, but there seemed to be a few more of
> those- albeit none the desired Neotropic. The Bald Eagle continues on the
> north end of the north chute, but those are expected here year-round.
>
> Migration's starting to kick in with the cooler weather- I'll have to
> review the fall warbler page in my guide! Figured I'd put this out as a
> PSA in case anyone was wanting to see Cattle Egrets- I think Al got down
> here just in time! I'm hoping the Anhingas haven't left yet, but with the
> other stuff gone, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
>
> Jared Gorrell
> Jackson County

Join us on Facebook!