Date: 8/22/17 10:45 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Mount Davidson migrants, Yosemite Slough MEW Gull 8/22/17
There was an interesting mix of migrants/dispersants on Mt. Davidson this morning:

Barn Owl (hatch year bird, flushed repeatedly from trees on east side of hill above the backyards, last seen flying out of sight toward trees on nw side, hopefully it found a safe roost before local red-tail/ravens/crows found it)

Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird 3

Western Wood-pewee 2

Swainson's Thrush

Orange-crowned Warbler 3

Wilson's Warbler 2

Western Tanager 5+ (5 detected simultaneously but there may have been more, appeared to be feeding on native huckleberry which is found within SF county only on Mt. D)

Lazuli Bunting

After work I visited Yosemite Slough Restoration Area (a unit of the Candlestick Park State Recreation Area) with low tide in full effect. (9) Black-necked Stilts were new arrivals, not noted here previously this summer. An adult MEW GULL feeding on the mudflats next to California Gulls was an early arrival. In 2014 an adult was noted at this location on 8/18, which is the earliest record of arriving adult Mew Gull in SF on eBird. When searching the database note that a 2nd cycle Mew Gull noted by m.ob in summer of 2015 (July-August) mostly at Lake Merced but also Ocean Beach was an oversummering bird.

And if I didn't have to work this Saturday I'd be loading up on seasickness meds and ginger snacks and filling one of those four slots on Mr. Alvaro Jaramillo's pelagic adventure. I can't recommend his boat trips enough, best pelagic experience I've ever had in the Bay Area.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone