Date: 8/22/17 8:08 pm
From: Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Not Much To See- Grand Tower Island (Perry County MO/ Jackson County IL)
Hi all,
I went over to Grand Tower Island today (8/22/17) again, to see if I could
get a definite Neotropic Cormorant. As usual with that nemesis species of
mine, I didn't. No Anhingas, either. All of the Cattle Egrets I had
yesterday are gone as of sunset today, along with about 2/3 of the Little
Blue Herons and many of the Snowy Egrets. Shorebird numbers are down at
this site too. There wasn't anything particularly exciting in that
department, but after seeing a good mix of them in Kentucky I was hoping
for more from this somewhat similar habitat. What is up are Bank Swallows-
I saw several hundred that I would record as Bank, and many more that
probably were but were too far off to tell. Tree Swallows are also moving
here, too- a few hundred of them. I'm not sure if the Double-crested
Cormorants have increased or not, but there seemed to be a few more of
those- albeit none the desired Neotropic. The Bald Eagle continues on the
north end of the north chute, but those are expected here year-round.

Migration's starting to kick in with the cooler weather- I'll have to
review the fall warbler page in my guide! Figured I'd put this out as a
PSA in case anyone was wanting to see Cattle Egrets- I think Al got down
here just in time! I'm hoping the Anhingas haven't left yet, but with the
other stuff gone, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Jared Gorrell
Jackson County

Join us on Facebook!