Date: 8/22/17 2:32 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (22-August-2017) Still no Avocet
Today (22-Aug-2017) John Cassady and I birded the Indiana lakefront.

We visited a couple of sites and then joined John Kendall and Andy Slager on a very successful lakewatch at Miller Beach.

The Miller Beach lakewatch was marvelous. In addition to the Frigatebird we logged an excellent Black Tern count. The only thing missing was an Avocet.

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR
Green-winged Teal,1
Double-crested Cormorant,10
Spotted Sandpiper,1 juv
Least Sandpiper,3 juvs
Semipalmated Sandpiper,8 juvs
Sanderling,2 adults
Stilt Sandpiper,3 flyby flock
Ring-billed Gull,130
Herring Gull,20
Caspian Tern,5
Forster’s Tern,8 adults
Purple Martin,11
Barn Swallow,60

—STRIEBEL POND
Green-winged Teal,1
Hooded Merganser,1
Great Blue Heron,3
Great Egret,1
Killdeer,1
Solitary Sandpiper,2
Spotted Sandpiper,2 juvs
Semipalmated Sandpiper,1 juv
Least Sandpiper,2 juvs
Caspian Tern,2

—HITCHCOCK ROAD POND
Mute Swan,2
Wood Duck,1
Pied-billed Grebe,8
Great Blue Heron,1
Killdeer,3
Barn Swallow,2

—MILLER BEACH- At the Lake Street lot. Also present: Matt Beatty, Brad Bumgardner, and Kim Ehn. Watch hours 7:00AM -3:00PM. A front passed about noon bringing NW winds at 15 knots. We thought the Black Tern tally was a record, but my memory of the current record proved inaccurate. Sorry.
Blue-winged Teal, 196
Northern Shoveler,16
Green-winged Teal,104
Double-crested Cormorant,200 est.
Magnificent Frigatebird,1 adult female with buffy carpal bars visible on the upper wing- First spotted by John Kendall at 12:50, visible for about 10 minutes as it drifted toward Chicago. This is the lakefront’s fifth record.
Semipalmated Plover,3 juvs
Lesser Yellowlegs,3 flyby flock
Semipalmated Sandpiper,3 juvs
Least Sandpiper,1 flyby
Sanderling,14- 6 adults & 8 juvs
Ring-billed Gull,75
Herring Gull,5
Caspian Tern,11
Black Tern,1164- Indiana’s 2nd largest count (1265 were seen at Miller 25 Aug 2007)
Common Tern,192
Forster’s Tern,49
Common Nighthawk,9- came in off Lake Michigan
Chimney Swift,1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird,1 flyby
Barn Swallow,4

Ken Brock