Date: 8/22/17 9:04 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (21 Aug 2017) 4 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 4 8 8

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 11:00:00
Total observation time: 3 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers:

Visitors:
Such a quiet morning! Don Richardson hiked up today, as did 2 young ladies
who brought a ukulele and proceeded to serenade us for an hour. Then they
walked over to the East overlook and sand some more -- which was easily
heard, still, from the observation deck.
As people started arriving for the eclipse, though, I headed off for home.

Weather:
Another day of light cirrus (Overcast 90%) thought the sun was warm enough
to still create some lift.
Visibility was only 32km/20mi thru the very thick haze.
Mts. Monadnock and Grace never did appear today.
Temp 18C/65F rose, slowly at first, to25C/77F by the time I left.

Raptor Observations:
SS's: 8:10 to S; 8:40 passed N side; 10:33 passed on S side after a 5
minute scuffle with a Raven (no winner).

Only CH passed (NE to SW)by tower at 10.33.

I still haven't seen an eagle up this fall.

Locals: TV 9; RT 6.

Non-raptor Observations:
Locals: Swallows:12 Tree, 5 Bank, 8 Barn.
4 Towhees seen, more sounding off in the shrubs.
Ravens 5.

Predictions:
SW winds and precipitation ...
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

Join us on Facebook!