Date: 8/20/17 7:26 am
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Chinook mine, Sedge Wrens
I did my annual survey for Sedge Wrens at about the peak of singing season. Heard 8 from the road in a 1.2 mile stretch with lots of big bluestem, DNR plantings. Since this habitat extends 100 meters or more away from the road along much of the distance, the number of territorial males may be 3 to 5 times greater than this, to take a guess.

Chinook Mine Northeast (Clay Co.), Clay, Indiana, US
Aug 20, 2017 7:10 AM - 8:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: Drove north and east ends of mine, 600N from 675W to 550W, then south for 0.5 miles. Weather calm, clear, 64 deg F.
26 species

Northern Bobwhite 1
Northern Harrier 1 glimpsed in flight over hill near 600N/550W
Mourning Dove 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Bell's Vireo 3 singing
American Crow 5
Carolina Chickadee 1
House Wren 1
Sedge Wren 8 unseen singing birds in tall-grass prairie plantings of big bluestem, etc., along 550W, from 600N intersection hill south for about 0.6 miles. Traditional area used this time of year.
Carolina Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
American Robin 20
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 1000 with about an equal number of grackles, flying north from reeds around lake at 650 W x 600N at dawn
Common Yellowthroat 2
Henslow's Sparrow 7 singing in DNR tall grass plantings along 600N and 550W
Field Sparrow 10 singing
Eastern Towhee 6
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Blue Grosbeak 7 singing males
Indigo Bunting 3
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Common Grackle 1000 flying from reeds around lake at 650W/600N at dawn, with similar number of starlings
American Goldfinch 7

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38729689