Date: 8/13/17 10:34 am
From: Peter H Yaukey <PYaukey...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Roseate Spoonbills in Metairie
Roseate Spoonbills do appear to me to be occurring with greater frequency in recent years in the canals of the city, presumably an overflow from coastal populations which to me appear to be increasing in southeast Louisiana generally. I drove John Snell around to do a Fox8 piece on them in the canals a few years ago- you can probably find it via Google if interested. We get them in the city almost entirely in late summer and early fall, and usually immatures- fitting the pattern of post-breeding dispersal that is shown by many large wading species. I presume ours are wandering here from the marshes of Plaquemines, St. Bernard, southern Jefferson, etc. but of course it is hard to know.

In my opinion, the neutral-ground canals with the highest likelihood of turning one up are those in West Metairie and Airline, both especially west of Clearview. They have also been reported in years past in West Esplanade's canal, in Algiers, and in Lafreniere Park (as you noted) and the "Shrewsbury Flats" (retention ponds beneath Causeway at Earhardt).

There are traditionally large wader roosts in the evenings at Lafreniere, City Park in Kenner (on Loyola), and in the wastewater plant on the Orleans/Jefferson Line (visible from Monticello), which are probably reasonable places to look for them at this time of year.

Peter Yaukey