Date: 8/12/17 9:08 pm
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] Vanport Wetlands Wilson's Phalarope
There was a WILSON'S PHALAROPE at Vanport Wetlands in Portland today. Seen
from the dogwalk fence, it was at the far shore so a scope was needed. It
was walking in shallow water and I first thought it was a yellowlegs, but
the feeding behavior was very obviously different (pecking at the surface
of the water and not probing) and it was more active than yellowlegs
usually are, and then I saw the white face and absence of chest markings.

I had earlier stopped at Smith-Bybee which is rapidly drying up; it seemed
like there were much fewer birds than a few days ago. I wonder if this
phalarope is the one that was at Smith-Bybee a few days ago and moved
because of it drying up.

Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!