Date: 8/12/17 7:26 pm
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Two back to back Farallons trips
Hello all,

Just a quick note after two back to back trips to the Farallon Islands
on Friday and today. It was a bit choppy getting out there, but slow and
steady did it and we arrived eager to see some birds and wildlife. On both
days the Island was fantastic, with many Tufted Puffins, really great
numbers of Cassin's Auklets, Pigeon Guillemots and a few Rhinoceros Auklets
amongst the larger numbers of Common Murres. The Blue-footed Booby was there
on both days, and today we also saw a Brown Booby - Fantastic. Northern Fur
Seals are going like gangbusters, I gather the best season they have had
there. California Sea Lions, Steller's Sea Lions, Harbor Seals and a couple
of Grey Whales. The islands do not disappoint.

We are able to get out to deep water on the way back to port (Half Moon
Bay) and it was fantastic on both days. Surrounded by Blue Whales and
Humpback Whales! Yesterday apart from the Sooty and Pink-footed shearwaters,
and Black-footed Shearwaters yesterday a group of 4 Wilson's Storm-Petrels
along with several Ashy Storm-Petrels were great to see. Today a real
highlight was a super close fly by from a Laysan Albatross. It was close
enough that the photos show a red color band which we will send in to
determine where this albatross came from. Ashy Storm-Petrel showed up today,
Northern Fulmars etc. Both were superb days, really, really fun birding. The
Laysan was in SF County, Wilson's SP in San Mateo County.

And as Alan Hopkins reported yesterday on SFBirds, he was able to get on
a Cook's Petrel which unfortunately none of us were able to see. It was
choppy and difficult that that time.

Pheew, I am tired, but happy tired! Lots more trips are happening this
season, see you out there.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>