Date: 8/12/17 7:04 pm
From: <esaterojarvi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Re: Sedge Wrens
Sedge wrens seem to be active this month. I was wondering how calm and peaceful the habitat needed to be for them to nest. I found many last year at Shoemaker marsh here and most grassy areas with even a little ditch nearby. The SE corner of Branched Oak had a few and the areas where tall grass is found (not mowed areas). But I have not been able to find them at Holmes Lake in town,even though there are secluded meadows there near the golf course. I found a few dickcissels and some sparrows, probably chipping, but no sedge wrens. They seem to stop there only in migration, so we don't find them in summer.

Lincoln Saline Wetland always has a few. There are not many people there and neighborhood people do not walk dogs thru it. That's the closest I find them to urban areas. 9 mile prairie had quite a few.

Esa Jarvi, Lincoln

Join us on Facebook!