Date: 8/12/17 6:42 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Hornblower trip Aug 12
Jane Mygatt and I went out on the HB this morning. Swells were low but close together. Many motion sick passengers.

Boat headed straight SW and out to the 9-Mile Bank, cruised along the Bank to the south, and then went a few miles west before looping back.

Lots of fishing boats around everywhere.

On the way out we had swarms of red-necked phalaropes. My total was 850 or so.
Just a couple dozen black-vented shearwaters.

We started seeing more birds once we were 6 miles offshore. Scattered flocks of black-venteds, and between the 6-mile-off-Pt.-Loma mark and the Bank, 4 Sabine’s gulls, all adults.

The birds were all concentrated at or beyond the 9-Mile Bank.
A total of about 400-450 black-venteds, 25 sooties and 17 pink-footeds.
Also a large sitting raft of storm-petrels, approximately 250–300 black storm-petrels.
We came across hundreds more storm-petrels as we cruised the Bank.
Total for the day of about 500+ black storm-petrels, 20-25 Ashy storm-petrels, and 1 Leach’s storm-petrel [one with some white on the mostly-dark rump].

2 Cassin’s auklets; 2 other unidentified alcids
1 unidentified distant booby.
1 common tern.

No baleen whales and not a lot of dolphins.

Stan Walens
San Diego

Join us on Facebook!