Date: 8/12/17 6:11 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Red-shouldered Hawks
I should have posted this a long time ago…. last year for that matter. While watching two Red-shouldered Hawks flying right over head this afternoon, I was impressed with the boldness of their translucent crescent windows. These two birds soar over our house and adjacent woods and fields. Some times I see them mid morning, but more often in the late afternoon. I know where the next is located. It’s only visible when the leaves are off the trees. That won’t be the case much longer as the stand of trees they are nesting in is almost all dead due to the ash bore. These trees stand in a vernal pool that has stayed wet all summer. I hear and see the hawks in the spring near their nest. This time of year, I get to watch them soaring while calling to each other.

I live on Honeoye Falls Five Points Rd west of Route 15A.

Judy