Date: 8/12/17 6:02 pm
From: 'Doug Backlund' <dougback...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Flock of Birds-Possible Cassin's Vireo
I stepped outside of my camper about an hour ago and noticed some birds
flitting around in the pines up the hill. Grabbed the binos and went up
there, with a few minutes I saw: RB Nuthatch, WB Nuthatch, 2 Pygmy Nuthatch,
BC Chickadee, Brown Creeper, WW Junco, Red Crossbills, Mountain Bluebirds,
Western Wood-Pewee, YR Warbler, and most intriguing, a Solitary-type vireo
that was quite yellow on the flanks, I could not get a very good view and
only a quick look, but the head/throat contrast appeared more like Cassin's
than the other two. I raced back to the truck to get my camera but never saw
the vireo again. I've seen some fall Plumbeous Vireos with very faint yellow
on the flanks, but not as much as this bird. I think finding this flock
again would require a lot of luck, but I will be looking. I'm about 5 miles
WSW of Jewel Cave in Custer County. Anyone interested, email me for specific
directions.

Interestingly, this is the second time in the last couple of weeks I've seen
Pygmy Nuthatches in a mixed flock like this.

Doug Backlund
Pierre, SD
www.wildphotosphotography.com

Join us on Facebook!