Date: 8/12/17 5:31 pm
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] NHBC Milford Point trip report Aug 12
8/12  Milford Point - A great turnout of 30+ birders enjoyed experiencing the wonders of Milford Point during a rising tide at the peak of shorebird migration.  The weather was dry (despite an earlier forecast for rain and thunder), warm, and pleasant. The highlights among the 51 bird species recorded were:  11 species of shorebirds, including 60 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS, 2000 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, close views of 3 juvenile SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS. Also, we saw about 250 COMMON TERNS on/near the offshore breakwater, 4 summering BRANT, a hunting PEREGRINE FALCON, an immature COOPER'S HAWK, and 'swarms' of swallows feeding low over the lagoon. One experienced observer also saw a probable NORTHERN GANNET. Besides the birds, we studied some of the plants, and watched the changes that occur during the tidal cycle. It was a delightful mid-day at a great Connecticut Audubon Society sanctuary and public open space!
The full eBird checklist:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S38611525

Frank Mantlik
Stratford