Date: 8/12/17 4:17 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Night heron question
I think I've posted this story previously on OBOL, 10 or 15 years back,
so I'll keep it brief.

On the University of California, Berkeley campus out in front of the
Hearst Mining Building there's a circular lawn with a shallow, concrete
pond. Sometime in the 1980s someone dumped some goldfish in there and
they multiplied, and grew to substantial size.

Then one winter a Black-crowned Night-Heron discovered this food source.
As a graduate student working in my office until various hours of the
evening, night or early morning, I'd see the heron fishing the pond as I
came out of the building. During the daytime it roosted in a small grove
of trees right next to the pond, unnoticed by hundreds of engineering
and chemistry students walking past between lectures.

The heron stayed around for about a month until the pond was pretty well
cleaned out of goldfish.

So the answer is yes, they are active mainly at night, and in early
morning and late evening. A couple days ago I saw one flying in NE
Corvallis at 6:25 AM (local sunrise is around 6:15 AM now), presumably
on its way back to its daytime roost in a secluded wooded area north of
Jackson-Frazier Wetland.

Good birding,
Joel

--