Date: 8/12/17 3:50 pm
From: Jonathan Feenstra <feenstra...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] BT Gnatcatcher on Edwards AFB

LA Birders:

This morning I found a female Black-tailed Gnatcatcher in the mesquite woodland of the south-central part of Edwards Air Force Base: roughly where 110th St East and Ave A would be. This is my second or third (a likely one got away from me last month) BT Gnatcatcher in this part of the Base this year.

This bird was on the main base and is not accessible, but it must have moved here from somewhere: perhaps over or through someplace that is accessible. Keep your eyes and ears open for interesting gnatcatchers while birding the desert fringes of the AV. The bird today was quite vocal giving wren-like “chh-chh-chh” scolds repeatedly.

Other things of local interest included a trickle of migrants: Cooper’s Hawk, Willow Flycatcher, Western Kingbird, Warbling Vireo, Bank Swallow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and Yellow, MacGillvray’s, and Wilson’s Warblers.

Jon Feenstra
Altadena

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<LACoBirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<LACoBirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)