Date: 8/12/17 3:04 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Night heron question
Bill,

Back in the early 80's, before the high water, Malheur Lake was a marsh with
islands of willows. These provided roosting places for herons. I remember
being at The Narrows between Malheur Lake and Mud Lake/Harney Lake at dusk
one evening. There was a parade of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets
heading east, knocking off work and leaving the foraging grounds to go to
roost. There was a counter-current of Black-crowned Night Herons going
west, heading out to work their shift. It was still light.

It was quite a spectacle. I think my friends and I came back for a second
show the next evening.

Paul Sullivan

Subject: Night heron question
Date: Sat Aug 12 2017 10:04 am
From: ticebill7 AT gmail.com

I have occasionally wondered when night herons become active. Do they come
out at dusk or after dark? Are they still active at dawn? Anyone know?

Bill Tice

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!