Date: 8/12/17 2:53 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (American Oystercatcher, Upland Sandpiper, 2 Stilt Sandpipers, etc.)
Brief highlights from a long day on the coast today:

SCOTERS - All 3 species (!) 4 Black Scoters on Seabrook Beach, 2
White-winged Scoters at Bicentennial Park in Hampton and 2 Surf Scoters
continue at Odiorne.

HERONS & EGRETS - Not carefully counted. Not a lot of egrets today. 8
Black-crowned Night-Herons is a good total. A flock of 10 GLOSSY IBIS
was a nice sight at the Little River Salt marsh.

PELAGIC BIRDS - 73 Wilson's Storm-Petrels and about 20 Northern
Gannets. Also two MINKE WHALES. Somewhat regular from shore this summer.

GULLS & TERNS - Two Least Terns in Hampton harbor. Didn't check nests
on Seabrook Beach. ONLY FIVE COMMON TERNS ALL DAY!!! Where are they
all??? One ROSEATE TERN off Seabrook Beach was the only tern we saw at
that location. 3 Laughing Gulls included our first 2 JUVENILES of the
summer. Still lots of nice looking Bonaparte's Gulls from a couple of
concentrated spots.

SHOREBIRDS - AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER flying south off Seabrook Beach.
Rare fall record and my first August record. UPLAND SANDPIPER at
Runnymede Farm off Rt. 111 in North Hampton with Killdeers. Very rare
migrant. In fact, this is my FIRST EVER MIGRANT and first ever from the
NH coast! All others I have seen in NH have been from breeding or
possible breeding habitat:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/35719319963/in/photostream/lightbox/
Other highlights include 2 adult STILT SANDPIPERS in the Little River
Saltmarsh, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, 5 Ruddy Turnstones and over 30
Sanderlings. A much higher percentage of shorebirds are now represented
by juveniles.

SWALLOWS - NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW - 1 late migrant at Runnymede
Farm. My 2nd latest record for NH. Lots of Barn Swallows on the coast
today and at least a couple or more Bank Swallows. Surprisingly VERY FEW
TREE SWALLOWS. Didn't check on Purple Martins.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA