Date: 8/12/17 2:35 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] 12-Aug-2017
Today (12-August-2017) John Cassady, Lynea Hinchman, Lynn Vernon, and I birded a couple of lakefront sites and then blitzed to LaSalle FWA.

We had hoped that the brisk N-NW wind would generate a nice longshore flight; however, little movement occurred. Consequently, we headed for LaSalle FWA where a large shorebird concentration had been reported. We were not disappointed, as scores of sandpipers were scattered across the bayou. Unfortunately, the species diversity was not high.

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR (with Matt Beatty)
Blue-winged Teal,3 flyby
Double-crested Cormorant,4
Turkey Vulture,3
Sanderling,2 adult
Semipalmated Sandpiper,3 juvs
Least Sandpiper,1 juv
Ring-billed Gull,150
Herring Gull,30
Peregrine Falcon,1 local bird

—MILLER BEACH (we joined Brad Bumgartner’s field trip, Ryan Sanderson’s group, and others creating a total of 30 birders)
Double-crested Cormorant,145
Turkey Vulture,9
Killdeer,4
Spotted Sanspiper,4
Sanderling,4 adults
Semipalmated Sandpiper,1 juv
Baird’s Sandpiper,1 fresh juv
Bonaparte’s Gull,1 flyby juv
Ring-billed Gull,40
Herring Gull,10
Caspian Tern,12
Chimney Swift,45
Barn Swallow,14

—LASALLE FWA (with Matt Beatty)
Wood Duck,40
Mallard,8
Wild Turkey,8- 2 adult & 6 half-grown young
Pied-billed Grebe,1
Great Blue Heron,6
Great Egret,22
Green Heron,1 juv