Date: 8/12/17 12:55 pm
From: James W. Beck <loxosceles928...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Roseate Spoonbills in Metairie
Chris,

Bear in mind that not every birder or observer 1) uses eBird and 2) has
entered historical data. That said, many if us have been working on
entering older data, but it is far from complete, thus as great as a tool
as it is, eBird is incomplete and not 100% accurate. So, there may have
indeed ROSP records from there prior to 2009, just not entered into eBird.
I was still living in Broussard for many of those years, so I cannot
personally add any other suggestions pertaining to their occurrence there.
I have to say though, that this doesn't at all surprise me. Being that
they have been present for many years in southeast Louisiana (Fourchon,
Venice, etc.), it makes sense that it would only be a matter of time. On
more than a couple occasions, I have seen them in the canals along West
Esplanade in Metairie in years past, while in town visiting family. -j

On Aug 12, 2017 14:38, "Chris Johnston" <cmjohnston...> wrote:

A friend asked me a question today on Facebook about Roseate
Spoonbills in the canals in Metairie. She said typically she only
sees these birds in farmland, like rice fields and crawfish ponds.
Lately, she has noticed them in the city in the canals around Metairie
and wanted to know why they were here.

I went to eBird and looked at data for Lafreniere Park from 1900 to
present since I couldn't search for the canals specifically. Then I
realized there was no Lafreniere Park at the early part of that range
so I started with hurricane Katrina and worked forward, in 5-year
increments, looking only at Spoonbills. According to eBird, prior to
2009 there were no recorded sightings of Roseate Spoonbills in the
park.

I'm wondering if any of the birders or ornithologists here might want
to postulate a reason as to why they appeared only after 2009 and not
before?

Christopher Johnston
Photographer and Workshop Leader
504-208-1766 o