Date: 8/12/17 12:38 pm
From: Chris Johnston <cmjohnston...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Roseate Spoonbills in Metairie
A friend asked me a question today on Facebook about Roseate
Spoonbills in the canals in Metairie. She said typically she only
sees these birds in farmland, like rice fields and crawfish ponds.
Lately, she has noticed them in the city in the canals around Metairie
and wanted to know why they were here.

I went to eBird and looked at data for Lafreniere Park from 1900 to
present since I couldn't search for the canals specifically. Then I
realized there was no Lafreniere Park at the early part of that range
so I started with hurricane Katrina and worked forward, in 5-year
increments, looking only at Spoonbills. According to eBird, prior to
2009 there were no recorded sightings of Roseate Spoonbills in the
park.

I'm wondering if any of the birders or ornithologists here might want
to postulate a reason as to why they appeared only after 2009 and not
before?

Christopher Johnston
Photographer and Workshop Leader
504-208-1766 o