Date: 8/12/17 12:36 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET More Good Stuff At Waukegan & Illinois Beach South Saturday 8-12-17
Hello Bird People,

I see that Jeff B has already reported one PIPING PLOVER at Waukegan
Beach this a.m. but I will add that it was the young one with the blue
band at the bottom of one leg. This little Plover 1st arrived on 8-2 &
so has been around for about 10 days now. This is the "Pier Plover"
which is almost always found on the main pier or on the beach near the
pier.

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Backwaters (6-7 a.m.)

Other shorebirds seen here were Killdeer (2) & Sanderling (4).
Mixed in with the Ring Billed & Herring Gulls was one LAUGHING GULL
which if the same one seen here for a few weeks has lost it's black
hood almost completely. But you can still pick it out by it's dark
mantle. None of the Marsh Wrens were singing when Bob Erickson & I
were there & last Wed's Least Bittern was a "no show" for us.

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:30-9:30 a.m.)

Did not find much on the beach until we reached the mouth of the river
were the blocked river has formed "ponds" on the beach. This is
usually where the shorebirds are found & today Bob & I saw a big
WILLET, 2 Short Billed Dowitchers (young ones), 2 Killdeer, 3 Spotted
Sandpipers & one Least Sandpiper. On the way back we saw a young (very
young) BONAPARTE'S GULL which landed with the beach gull flock but
didn't stay long. No Brewer's Blackbird today.

WARNING!

Both today & last Saturday the gate on Sea Horse Drive has been locked
at 6 a.m. & a little later. If that happens to you all you can do is
wait by the gate until a worker arrives needing to get in. Then when
the worker opens the gate it will stay open a short time so drive in
quickly as once it closes you will have to wait until the next worker
arrives or until the city folks arrive to fully open the gate.

We saw Oliver B & the Whimbrel Birders Group at IBSP & directed them
to the Willet & Dowitchers so hopefully the birds remained for the
group to see. Also got to meet birder Dawn F who reports on ebird
from many of the same places I report from. It's always nice to meet
folks who cover the same areas that you do.

Bird-of-The-Day for me will be a tie between the Laughing Gull & the
Willet as I have seen both species 3 times this year & that seems like
equality of species to me.
Runner-Up to the 2 Short Billed Dowitchers which are just as hard to
find on Lake Michigan as the Willet although easier to find at inland
sites.

Al Stokie
Again in N.E. Lake County & again doing pretty well while there

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: