Date: 8/12/17 12:00 pm
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] organizing a crossbill searching, Western Massachusetts
Hi Birders:

Given the influx of Red Crossbills just over the borders in New Hampshire
and Vermont, I figured I'd ping folks again and see if anyone is interested
in searching in the western part of the state. The birds are using
primarily native red spruces in New Hampshire, but if white spruce
plantations are around those are preferred. New Hampshire birds are also
working on hemlock and larch. If anyone in the western third of the state
knows of good locations for red or white spruces, I'd love to hear about
them. In fact I'd love to hear someone headed there and found crossbills!
Poking around on Google Earth it seems there are probably some spruce
groves in October Mountain State Forest, and also Mt. Greylock. I found
some good spruce groves in Windsor and Savoy a few weeks ago, but no
crossbills. I'll be heading back to these areas in the next week or so.

If anyone is interested in searching and would like any more information,
feel free to write me off-list.

Thanks & good searching

Tim Spahr
Marlborough