Date: 8/12/17 11:15 am
From: Mark Stevenson <drbrdr...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] AZ:08/11/17:Another Five-Striped Sparrow Spot
Hi Birders,

Molly and I made the trip this morning to look for the Five-striped Sparrow.
We found the road has been recently graded and is in fine shape
for a sedan, at least until the next big rain storm.

The odometer indicated 7.0 miles from the pavement to where Cliff had
placed the agave stalk against the yellow sign. Obviously, odometers differ.

The Five-striped Sparrow showed multiple times of its own volition, most frequently
in the high point of a dead sycamore tree along the stream. A SPOTTING SCOPE.
made it possible to get good identifying views of the bird at that distance.

Plenty of other birds around, the most unusual being a leucistic hummingbird
of some sort guarding a flowering agove.

THANKS CLIFF!

Mark Stevenson
Tucson, AZ

To: "Arizona - New Mexico Post" <aznmbirds...>
Date: Friday, August 11, 2017, 10:06 PM

From Madera Canyon
Road, at the bend where the dirt road goes east off the
pavement as Box Canyon Road towards Route 83 and also the
Florida Work Center, reset your trip odometer before leaving
the pavement.  At exactly 6.7 miles along Box Canyon Road
headed east towards Route 83, I leaned an agave stalk
against one of the small yellow marker signs on the
downslope side of the road (south edge of the road).  A
FIVE-STRIPED SPARROW was singing it's head off on the
north facing slope (across the canyon to the south) right
before sunset.  For those that know the spot, this is two
curves below (west) of the waterfall spot.  By my late
night reckoning, with a weary eye, this appears to be in
Pima County.
The road over to Route 83 was packed with
birds.
Clifford A. CathersVail,
<AZAZCliffy...>
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----