Date: 8/12/17 11:09 am
From: Mike Brady <00000033e862acc5-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Shaw Nature Reserve Henslows-8-12

Pretty lackluster birdwise which I pretty much expected for this time of
year

Mid morning start didn't help. For the most part the birds were quiet and
far between out at Shaw Nature Reserve this morn

Dont get out there as much anymore but the bird of the morn . were about
a half dozen HENSLOW SPARROWS calling at the bottom (from the prairie
overlook) of the prairie trail near the small pond.

Kind of cool and nostalgic for me because it was probably 20 years ago I
remember running into George and Terri Barker who got me on my life Henslows
in the same spot at about the same time of year.

Dont know if others have seen Henslows out there this year(have to check
e-bird I guess) but its the first time in a very long while Ive seen them
out there again.Know they used to burn that prairie alot which no doubt made
conditions less than ideal for Henslows arriving in the spring

Guessing these birds are no doubt attempting a late summer second brood
nesting attempt which is typical of these sparrows.Might be short distant
migrants from another area that have recently showed up and found conditions
really good

Other birds of note calling from around the prairie trail were a couple of
blue grosbeaks,indigo buntings,a single towhee and a few field sparrows

Mike Brady
Ballwin.MO
<_bradymp...> (mailto:<bradymp...>)

mailto:<mobirds-l-request...>