Date: 8/12/17 4:25 am
From: Paul Dickson <Paul...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Interesting Greater Roadrunner
William and LABIRD: I am very interested by what the roadrunner you photographed has captured. It appears to be a gecko. This exotic lizard invaded north Louisiana about 15 years ago. Roadrunners that I have seen in north Louisiana are almost always associated with post oak-pine forest, usually at mid succession stage. They also show up in a few suburban situations but in Shreveport, have not persisted. In the dry post oak-pine forest another species present is Eastern Fence Lizard. I hypothesize that lizard presence is necessary and particularly Fence Lizard. The suburban Road Runners that I have known of in Shreveport were seen eating Green Anole and House Sparrow. If they can establish a population based on the food source of geckos, they may proliferate in the suburbs getting close to houses. This one sure seems comfortable around humans.
Paul Dickson
Sent from my iPad

Disclaimer