Date: 8/11/17 12:01 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach & Dunes & Warning For Both Sections Of Techny Basin Friday 8-11-17
Hello Bird People,

Watched & waited for shorebirds by the flooded section of Montrose
Beach & in the Protected Beach area. Found 5 shorebird species but all
were of the most common kinds. While I was there I was joined by
Howard B, Dave A, Larry K & Luis M for part of my visit. Luis & Larry
added a 6th shorebird species to the 5 I saw. Here's my list for the
beach & dunes only:

Montrose Beach & Dunes (6:15-9:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 on a tower on the pier & 1 fly-by)
Great Blue Heron (2 by the pier channel & not getting along at all)
Canada Goose (33 in the lake) & Mallard (11 on protected beach)
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (4) & Killdeer (6)
Least (4), Semipalmated (1) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
(Luis & Larry saw 1 Lesser Yellowlegs which I missed)
Ring Billed (~200) & Herring (6) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4 fly-bys)
Kestrel (1-M)
Chimney Swift (~10-12)
Flicker (1-2)
Purple Martin (4) & Barn Swallow (~12)
Robins, Red Wings, Goldfinch & House Sparrows

WARNING!

Yesterday there were over 70 shorebirds at the 2 sections of Techny
Basin but today all was flooded with only a few shorebirds flying
around & looking for a place to land at Techny North. Had 3 species of
flying shorebirds which were Killdeer (5), Spotted Sandpiper (2) &
Least Sandpiper (4). Still a few Great Blues & 1 each Great Egret &
adult BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON. I'd give both Techny locations a few
days to let the water level go back down & allow the mud flats & edges
to return.

On the way back to the car at Montrose Larry & I heard & then finally
saw a calling YELLOW BILLED CUCKOO.
Finally saw it & it was a very young Cuckoo with downy feathers & a
tail only about half as long as it should have been. As it seemed to
be begging to be fed we stopped staring at it in the hopes the adults
would bring it food if we humans got out of the way.

So Bird-Of-The-Day goes to this very young Yellow Billed Cuckoo
waiting to be fed.
Runner-Up to the adult Black Crowned Night Heron seen briefly at the
flooded Techny North area.

Al Stokie
Another Cook County close to home day

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>