Date: 8/11/17 6:03 am
From: Tina and Peter Green via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 7am New London Ferry highlights
I decided to take the 7am ferry in hopes of seeing shearwaters, etc. I am Now docked at Orient Point waiting on the return trip. 10-15 minutes before crossing into NY waters I had 4 single Wilson's Storm-Petrels and 3-4 Cory's Shearwaters. The shearwaters were sitting together on the water with a small group of Laughing Gulls before 3 of them lifted off the water and headed towards CT. I also saw and heard 6-8 Roseate Terns and a conservative estimate of 300 Common Terns, 1 Bonaparte's Gull, 14 Laughing Gulls, and 20 Common Eider. Lots of activity in CT, not much in NY.I'll see what the ride back to CT "Terns up"! Pun intended.
The John H leaves 11am and 3pm which is the best boat. The Mary Ellen sails at 2pm which is also a very good boat for viewing.Good luck to those who will be on the 2 and 3pm boats!

P.S.The Storm-Petrels and shearwaters were in the east side of the boat FYI.

Tina Green
Westport
Sent from my iPhone