Date: 8/11/17 5:37 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Parker River Peregrine
Thanks to A. Reeve for the following.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>
*

On Weds. afternoon I thought I might try to find the bittern. I
observed 3 Glossy Ibis at the North Pool overlook. They were difficult
to see behind grasses in the company of several Egrets, ducks, & turtles.
I went on to the Hellcat area & surveyed Bill Forward Pool where there
were large flocks of shorebirds at the far end. They repeatedly swarmed
off & returned. I then noticed a large dark bird on a sandy patch of
ground. Viewing it through my binoculars it was easily identified as a
peregrine. It kept looking my way & turning it's head from side to side
showing its "mustache" very clearly. By the time I had climbed the tower
for a better view it had taken off in a southerly direction.
I looked for it again from the Pines observation deck without luck. I
did see 4 osprey: 2 on the nest platform, 1 on a tall pole nearby, & 1
on a short post closer to the shore.
I never found the Bittern but was pleased to see so many egrets &
herons. There were lots of swallows but I did not observe their staging
behavior.
A. Reeve
Exeter,NH

Join us on Facebook!