Date: 8/10/17 9:57 pm
From: Dika Golovatchoff <digolov...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Early evening at Bird Refuge
After walking my dogs around the lake I spent some time observing the two
juvenile Black-necked Stilts from the parking area and then from the third
viewing platform I had very clear views of three Long-billed Dowitchers
among the many Mallards. At first there were only four Snowy Egrets but
then 16 more flew in from the west. The two Coots were quite young - a
charcoal gray color. Among the Western Sandpipers I'm pretty sure there
was still one Semipalmated - but what I noticed in particular was a larger,
chunkier, perhaps rounder sandpiper which I couldn't identify - but wonder
if it might perhaps have been a Baird's. Unfortunately by this point my
camera battery had given out - so no photo of this bird. A few others are
uploaded at https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/

The early evening light was quite lovely and it was really quite peaceful
being there alone.

--
Dika Golovatchoff
Santa Barbara‚Äč <https://japanimages2016.wordpress.com/>