Date: 8/10/17 2:33 pm From: Elaine & Marty Cohen <buckeye4c...> Subject: [Ohio-birds] did I see a gadwall?
interesting afternoon at Nimisila Reservoir, sourthern Summit County.
1) swimming among a small flock of adult mallards, half male, half female, was one duck that looked exactly like a male gadwall except barely a trace of black in the rump: soft brown, small black eye, dark gray bill, 3/4 size of the mallards. likely here and now?
2) saw my first male wood ducks in quite some tme - mixed flock swimming, males in eclipse color, and females.
3) 8 osprey.
4) one of the two summer resident loons (in winter plumage), as seen in June and July.
5) common gallinule adult plus chick (half sized).
6) my first pied billed grebe since May.
7) flocks of cormorants, on the water and in trees.
8) many herring gulls, not seen in such numbers inland for months.
side question: we have had regular visits to our backyard flowers and feeder of a female hummingbird for several weeks, but never a male. some of our views are at near point blank range. never a dark throat. odd?
Ohio-birds mailing list, a service of the Ohio Ornithological Society. Please consider joining our Society, at www.ohiobirds.org/site/membership.php. Our thanks to Miami University for hosting this mailing list.
You can join or leave the list, or change your options, at: listserv.miamioh.edu/scripts/wa.exe?LIST=OHIO-BIRDS Send questions or comments about the list to: <listowner...>