Date: 8/10/17 1:16 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden, Techny Basin & Techny North Thursday 8-10-17
Hello Bird People,

Today I looked for shorebirds & big wading birds at the CBG & the 2
Techny Basin locations.
This was my 1st visit to the CBG in about a month as it had been
flooded but today the backwaters had enough mud flats to attract &
hold at least a few shorebirds. Techny North continues to have good
numbers of common shorebirds & Techny Basin (south) now has a few
shorebirds on it's finally returned mud flats & edges. Along with
today were Jeff Sanders, Al Wege & 2 other birders. I had 9 shorebird
species & 4 Heron/Egrets. And our best shorebird was almost turned
into lunch by an attacking Peregrine. Almost but not quite!

Chicago Botanic Garden (7-9:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (3) & Great Egret (also 3)
Canada Goose (19) & Mallard (23)
Killdeer (15) & Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Solitary (2), Least (3) & Pectoral (7) Sandpipers
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (1 each)
Caspian Tern (Max=10)
Mourning Dove (2 on the mud)
Barn (4) & Cliff (1) Swallows
Goldfinch (2 on the mud)

Somewhat interesting land birds included R.T. Hummer at the Jewelweed
flowers, Purple Martins
(~20, young & old) & 30-35 migrating Cedar Waxwings.

Techny North (10-10:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2), Great Blue Heron (7) & Great Egret (1)
Wood Ducks & Mallards (young & old)
Red Tail Hawk (1-2)
Killdeer (~45) & Semipalmated Plover (1)
Solitary (4) & Spotted (3) Sandpipers
Semipalmated (1), Least (~17) & Pectoral (3) Sandpipers
(Yesterday's 2 Wilson's Snipe were not found today)
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by) & Caspian Tern (1-AD)
Mourning Dove (4 on the mud)
Rough Winged (2-3) & Barn (4) Swallows

Techny Basin (South) (10:45-11:30 a.m.)

As I said last time the mud flats are back & today shorebirds were
back too but only a few.

Great Blue Heron (6), Great Egret (2-3), Green Heron (2) & Black
Crowned Night Heron (1-IM)
Mallard (~20)
Killdeer (2), GREATER YELLOWLEGS (1), Solitary (1) & Least (2) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (1), Mourning Dove (2) & Barn Swallows (~12) all flew by

While watching the Greater Yellowlegs all of a sudden in came a fast
moving PEREGRINE which went right after the Yellowlegs but showing
fast reactions of it's own the Yellowlegs cut right & left & evaded
the Falcon which tried again but after it's initial attack failed the
advantage went to the Yellowlegs which hid for a little while & then
went right back to feeding where the Peregrine attack took place. I
have always been amazed that when a bird has almost been murdered it
then goes right back to feeding. Seems like there should be a period
of panic & worrying before going back to the usual routine but maybe
that's just the way a human would look at it? Bird psychology appears
to be beyond me.

Birds-Of-The-Day will go to both the surprisingly agile Greater
Yellowlegs & the Peregrine as they put on a good show & no one got
hurt in the process. Runners-Up to the Semipalmated Plover & the young
Black Crowned Night Heron. Interesting day!

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: