Date: 8/10/17 9:34 am
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hummingbird Id help/Manzanita-Tillamook
Thanks Dave and all for your excellent advice as always. I so appreciate
the help I get on OBOL.

That said, to answer your question literally, it all starts with my own
personal experience with Anna's Hummingbirds and with Sibley.

This is my personal process. I have as many as 30 hummers a day at my
feeders and see both Anna's and Rufous in abundance throughout the
seasons. I don't typically see a clean white neck, belly, breast and
flanks that could be called an Anna's. My main experience with that clean
plumage is either Costa's or a Black-chinned - in fact in Manzanita, my
only experience with this is last year's Costa's Hummingbird that I was
excited to host for 3 weeks. So the next step for me is to consult
Sibley. Sibley says for Anna's juvenile "grayish with green spots" and
doesn't note any alternative. So then, I go to the internet and do my
searches at Cornell, Audubon, etc. and then search for Google images and
also Birdfellow. If that still doesn't answer my question, I am thankful
that I have OBOLites as mentors to turn to. Then I get the pieces that are
missing in the equation and can put together a better picture for moving
forward in my identification skills.

The same thing happened with my juvenile Long-billed Curlew. No
illustration of a juvenile in Sibley.

Last year I had a Black-legged Kittiwake with pink legs. Sibley didn't
reference this but the Cornell website did so I didn't have to resort to
OBOL for an id.

Anyway, a long-winded explanation for what it's like to do bird
identification out there on your own with a few books and a computer to
rely on - and the fabulous OBOL to be the final assistance when all else
fails.

Best, Beverly

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 8:12 AM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:

> I agree with Bob and Shawneen. Young Anna's Hummingbirds are often behind
> reports of stray Costa's and Black-chinned Hummingbirds. They are the
> juvenile Red-tailed Hawk of the hummer world. Whenever you see a
> nondescript green-backed, pale-bellied hummer that you are challenged to
> ID, the first and last question to ask yourself is, "Why isn't this an
> Anna's?"
>
> Dave Irons
> Beaverton, OR
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 9, 2017, at 9:19 PM, Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
> wrote:
>
> Bob Archer, you just beat me to the answer :-)
>
> This looks like a young Anna’s Hummingbird to me. It has that thick-necked
> and stocky look of an Anna’s.
>
> The wing shape is fairly even in width, a feature of the genus * Calypte *(Anna’s
> and Costa’s).
>
> Costa’s are big headed, too, but smaller and paler gray below. Young
> Costa’s tend to be grayer or perhaps browner and more scaled looking
> plumage-wise and are fairly compact.
>
> It is not a Black-chinned based on overall shape and the shape of the
> primaries. Black-chinned and Ruby-throat, both *Archilochus, *have
> different width primaries with the inner six being narrower than the outer
> primaries. And the way to tell Black-chinned from Ruby-throat is to look at
> the shape of the outermost primary. On Black-chinned this feather is more
> bulbous or club shaped at the tip, while Ruby-throat is pointed.
>
> Shawneen
>
> On Aug 9, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I took some pictures of this hummingbird in my backyard in Manzanita on
> August 3rd. It looks very much like the Costa's Hummingbird female that
> visited my backyard last year between August 7 - 28. I was hoping to get
> more pictures of it, but I've not seen it again yet. There are regular
> hummingbird wars over the 3 feeders that are out.
>
> Any thoughts on identification? 4 pictures are in a Flickr album.
>
> https://flic.kr/s/aHsm669xj3
>
> Thanks, Beverly

Join us on Facebook!