Date: 8/10/17 8:59 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hummingbird Id help/Manzanita-Tillamook
I agree with Bob and Shawneen. Young Anna's Hummingbirds are often behind reports of stray Costa's and Black-chinned Hummingbirds. They are the juvenile Red-tailed Hawk of the hummer world. Whenever you see a nondescript green-backed, pale-bellied hummer that you are challenged to ID, the first and last question to ask yourself is, "Why isn't this an Anna's?"

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2017, at 9:19 PM, Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...><mailto:<shawneenfinnegan...>> wrote:

Bob Archer, you just beat me to the answer :-)

This looks like a young Anna’s Hummingbird to me. It has that thick-necked and stocky look of an Anna’s.

The wing shape is fairly even in width, a feature of the genus Calypte (Anna’s and Costa’s).

Costa’s are big headed, too, but smaller and paler gray below. Young Costa’s tend to be grayer or perhaps browner and more scaled looking plumage-wise and are fairly compact.

It is not a Black-chinned based on overall shape and the shape of the primaries. Black-chinned and Ruby-throat, both Archilochus, have different width primaries with the inner six being narrower than the outer primaries. And the way to tell Black-chinned from Ruby-throat is to look at the shape of the outermost primary. On Black-chinned this feather is more bulbous or club shaped at the tip, while Ruby-throat is pointed.

Shawneen

On Aug 9, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...><mailto:<mapsout...>> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I took some pictures of this hummingbird in my backyard in Manzanita on August 3rd. It looks very much like the Costa's Hummingbird female that visited my backyard last year between August 7 - 28. I was hoping to get more pictures of it, but I've not seen it again yet. There are regular hummingbird wars over the 3 feeders that are out.

Any thoughts on identification? 4 pictures are in a Flickr album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm669xj3

Thanks, Beverly

Join us on Facebook!