Date: 8/9/17 9:16 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hummingbird Id help/Manzanita-Tillamook
The answer to Black-chinned/Ruby-throated or Anna's/Costa's can be seen in
the primaries. The Black-chinned duo has narrow inner primaries. The
Anna's duo has even width primaries. Sheri Williamson has a nice set of
photos that help one work through the id challenges.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tzunun/galleries/

I think it comes down to Anna's or Costa's. and the pale loral spot in
front of eye, lack of an Adam's apple, and what looks like a longer broader
tail and seems large on the feeder makes me say a pale juvie female Anna's.

Bob Archer

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> you have an eye for hummers Beverly.
> what about black-chinned?
> this would be extremely rare and a difficult identification.
> the jizz seems too slender to me for a costa's but that's pretty
> subjective and immature Anna's is always the most likely possibility.
> I think within the black chin range this would not be a controversial ID
> but that's not Manzanita
> try to get photos of the spread tail if possible.
>
> bob obrien
>

> On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I took some pictures of this hummingbird in my backyard in Manzanita on
> August 3rd. It looks very much like the Costa's Hummingbird female that
> visited my backyard last year between August 7 - 28. I was hoping to get
> more pictures of it, but I've not seen it again yet. There are regular
> hummingbird wars over the 3 feeders that are out.
> > Any thoughts on identification? 4 pictures are in a Flickr album.
> > https://flic.kr/s/aHsm669xj3
> >
> > Thanks, Beverly

Join us on Facebook!