Date: 8/9/17 7:38 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Midtown Tanager - 8/08
  Yesterday morning upon my arrival at work I heard a snappy rather loud chip reminiscent of a large warbler.  The call seemed to fall in the realm of Northern Waterthrush/ Blue Grosbeak/ Northern Cardinal/ Indigo Bunting/ Kentucky Warbler, etc.  The vocalization was usually singular, but sometimes two would be emanated together in rapid succession.
  I made some harsh pishing wren-like noises attempting to emulate the call of this bird.  To my surprise, a medium-sized species soon flew close to my position.  After a few more harsh pishes, the bird flew to a power line.  Here I could see a medium-length notched tail, a slim body structure, as well as a bit of olive-yellow plumage.  The bill did not seem large and conical, but slender, unlike that of a grosbeak.  Keep in mind I did not have optics.
  I did get a few seconds of audio of this bird, and indeed it sounds like a much higher pitched version of the "chik" that comes usually before the harsh "burr" call of Scarlet Tanager.
  I surmised that the bird was probably a rather wayward immature SCARLET TANAGER.  I was unable to find this odd vocalization on Xeno-canto through an excessive search of both Scarlet and Summer Tanager.
  This rather odd Midtown Omaha sighting constitutes the first Tanager species for Indian Creek Nursery.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!