Date: 8/9/17 5:01 pm
From: Doug Jenness <d_jenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: Ruddy Turnstones in Pinal County
8/9/17

Today, Keith Kamper, Jake Mohlmann and I birded a few lesser known dairy sludge ponds in the Maricopa and Stanfield area west of Tucson north of I-8. We also stopped at a couple of sites in the Santa Cruz Flats on our way back. At our first location in the morning, the Anderson Dairy Farm sludge ponds, we were pleased and surprised to find a RUDDY TURNSTONE. This is the second record for Pinal County--the first was at Picacho Reservoir on Aug. 30, 1980. The location is at https://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=32.8555866,-111.9336677&ll=32.8555866,-111.9336677 This is at the northwest corner of Selma Hwy and Anderson Rd.

More surprising, we discovered a second RUDDY TURNSTONE at the Caballero Dairy Farm sludge ponds in the Santa Cruz Flats, making it the third county record. The dairy is south of Harmon Rd. between Curry and Tweedy roads. The ponds can be reached from Harmon Rd. by going south on Curry for 0.5 miles and turning left east) on a dirt farm road to the ponds. This location is nearer for those from the Tucson area looking to see this state rarity.

We also saw a lot of other shorebirds, including about 200 CURVE-BILLED CURLEWS at a farm near the Anderson Dairy.

Doug Jenness