Date: 8/9/17 2:35 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Interesting MacGillivray's Warbler in oak savanna, northern Benton County
Hi all,

To add one more to the list of surprising oak savanna birds, this
morning at a Vesper Sparrow monitoring site I tracked down a bird that
was chipping in a big serviceberry bush, and found what appeared to be
an adult male MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER.

What was odd, though, is that the white eye ring seemed to be complete,
and the arcs above and below the eye weren't as thick as they usually
look on MacGillivray's Warblers.

The idea of Mourning Warbler came to mind, so I stayed on the bird as it
hopped around through the foliage, focusing especially on the "bib"
area. This looked normal for male MacGillivray's, variable dark gray but
without a distinct blackish area.

I also got a quick look at the undertail as the bird tipped up at one
point, and noted that the dark gray/blackish rectrices were fairly long
relative to the yellowish undertail coverts.

I just had a chance to look through a warbler guide now, and see that
all of this except for the eye ring points more to MacGillivray's rather
than Mourning Warbler. So I'm inclined to view this as a slightly
unusual MacGillivray's.

I'd be interested to hear if others have seen MacGillivray's Warblers
with complete (or nearly complete) eye rings

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier