Date: 8/9/17 2:36 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: In my backyard
Harriet,

This one is difficult to identify, as the image is not sharp. Also, the plumage does not look typical for any species. At first, I thought of immature Sharp-shinned because of the rounded head and not peaked and it is not capped with a darker crown as with Cooper’s. But the solid brown color of the head is unlike either species. Since the eye looks yellow, the bird is apparently an immature. The markings on the flanks resemble those of immature Sharp-shinned, but the bulk of the bird resembles a Buteo and not an Accipiter (sharp-shinned and Cooper’s), and gives the impression of being a larger bird. The bird does not show the markings of a Red-shouldered. I was suspecting a Broad-winged Hawk, which it most resembles, but the wing-tail ratio doesn’t quite match, and the Broad-winged usually shows more head markings.

I would have to see the living bird to make a judgement.

Larry

On Aug 8, 2017, at 8:07 PM, Karen Saxton <kcsaxton...><mailto:<kcsaxton...>> wrote:

I'd say juvenile by the coloring and red shoulder by the shape

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Jim Anderson <jimnaturalist...><mailto:<jimnaturalist...>> wrote:
Adult male Cooper's Hawk...!

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM, <harrietand1...><mailto:<harrietand1...>> wrote:
Got a guess?