Date: 8/9/17 11:36 am
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Grandview Cemetery in Fort Collins (Larimer) on 9Aug2017
Following several days of rainy weather, the sun shone shown off and on this morning at Grandview Cemetery. In response, lots of foraging activity among the breeding resident species and it felt like the first day where there was some wandering or migrating of landbirds.

Highlights:

Pygmy Nuthatch (2) foraging among spruce cones in the center of the cemetery, in the company of at least half a dozen Red-breasted Nuthatches. Have not seen this species at Grandview since September 2007.

[cid:148d3ed3-fbd8-43af-9e27-e93460b4326e]

Black-headed Grosbeak (1 female or immature type), FOY at Grandview, on the move, would not pose for photo, hopping from one American elm to another.

Western Wood-Pewee (2) - they are expected in late summer-autumn and these birds were about on time, maybe a tad early. Mostly feeding on yellowjackets in American lindens, and making sallies out from tall spruce, presumably for flying carpenter ants or maybe yellowjackets. Do not think this species bred at GC this summer, although I did see one odd, silent individual in July.

Barn and Cliff Swallows still feeding nestlings at the intersection of Taft and Laporte Avenues. Presumably this is their second brood.

A pair of Great Horned Owls is hanging out together, presumably in the early stages of courtship.

One Broad-tailed Hummingbird nest active. Two other second-brood nests failed very early on, apparently due to predation on the eggs.

Momma Mallard in the ditch is down to two grown young following her around. Every time I see her, I hear the song "Another One Bites The Dust" in the back of my head. Raising a big brood amid the various perils of the city has to be tough.

One adult Chipping Sparrow with three fledglings in tow.

Lots of female pelecinid wasps (strange beasts, look them up) flying around. Buckeyes already being chowdered by Fox Squirrels. Getting them with Mom in the big red wagon on the Ohio State University campus used to be a September activity. Expect first Townsend's Warbler any week.

Total of 23 species.

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins