Date: 8/9/17 1:15 am
Subject: migrants/local movements: La. Waterthrush July 24, 2017
Bird burst out in one (lovely) full song around 6:30AM, not since, and neotropicals , including waterthrush, had stopped singing some time earlier. Exception: local breeding Red-eyed Vireo kept singing until end of July, then no more.

Gnatcatchers and various unidentifiable (naked eye) small birds moving through since end of July. One White-eyed Vireo song a few days ago, but postbreeding, singing White-eyed seem not to be here yet.

In "better"(?) habitats in Halifax County and in southeastern VA, I have noticed Wood Thrushes and Yellow-billed Cuckoos singing well into this August, while those two species here shut up (left?) several weeks ago. This spot is a little sandhills, so probably dries out too much, compared to less droughty areas where I have beenn still hearing these two species since.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!