Date: 8/8/17 8:29 pm
From: <zonetail...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] LLC Swan, Heron, Grebe
A quick visit to the south end of Lake Los Carneros this afternoon was fairly
productive. The hybrid swan is back -- or did it ever leave? The bill pattern
and coloration appears to be identical to how it was in the spring. There was a
Clark's Grebe near the dam , looking more classically Clarkian than most --
look at the pics and you'll see what I mean. Finally, in the south-west corner,
a juvenile Green Heron (it still has pin feathers on its crown--suggestive of
local breeding) puzzled me by pointing its bill heavenward like a bittern. Then
I saw what it was up to as it deftly snatched a blue dasher (dragonfly) in
flight. And for those of you interested in odonates -- and why wouldn't you
be?-- I photographed a male red-tailed pennant in the same corner of the lake.

Photos of the swan, grebe, and heron (and lots of dragonflies) here--

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zonetail/

Hugh Ranson
SB

------------------------------------