Date: 8/8/17 3:52 pm
From: Bill Baker <oldquarryadventures...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Old Quarry Puffin and Tropicbird Trip
Tropicbird sucess: 7/10 It started out rainy and foggy and I had my
reservations of what we would see. By merchants row we were already seeing
Gannet so that was a good sign. By Isle au Haut the water was clear and by
the time we got to Seal Island, it was sunny. The water was full of
foraging birds. A lot of loons, about 8-10 jaegers of various morphs that
were probably mostly parasitic, easily over 50 Gannet, and a couple groups
of Manx Shearwater, a handful of Great Shearwater, and several large flocks
of Wislon's Storm-petrel. For the first time, there seemed to be a 2 or 3
Leach's Storm-petrels out there as well. Razorbills and Puffins were out
with there chicks. At the island were hundreds of puffins in the water.
Cormorants and arctic terns still covered the island in their respective
spots. The Red-billed Tropicbird made its appearance and we got great looks
as did John Drury from Vinalhaven who also happened to be out there.