Date: 8/8/17 3:16 pm
From: Medea Steinman <medea.steinman...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Murmuration of sandpipers at Machias Dike
I got to enjoy a large murmuration of sandpipers over the Machias River
during lunch today. This was in town, below Bad Little Falls and just
behind Berry Vines near the dike. It was difficult to estimate a count but
there were certainly hundreds. The wave-like undulations and tightly
coordinated dance were breathtaking. Semi-palmated I'm guessing but not
sure. They didn't come in close to shore but stayed out in the middle of
the cove.