Date: 8/8/17 2:36 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Green Valley/83rd St Fluddle & Some Habitat Updates Tuesday 8-8-17
Hello Bird People,

Made my weekly visit to the 83rd St Fluddle & again it wasn't very
successful. Somehow Vicky S & Mike M are finding good shorebirds here
but I am not. Arrived at the Greene Rd lot & walked in & listened for
land birds on the way. One WAS a good one! (See Bird-Of-The-Day)
At the fluddle I counted 72 Killdeer & NO other shorebirds for about
20 & then I found a few other shorebirds. Should have been better!

Birds At Or In The Fluddle

Great Blue Heron (1) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (1). Mallard (18) & GREEN WINGED TEAL (1-F)
Killdeer (Max=72), Solitary (1), Spotted (1-IM) & Least (2) Sandpipers
Caspian Tern (2-AD)
Chimney Swift (6-8) & Barn Swallow (8-9)
On the mud were Starling (1), Grackle (1) & Goldfinch (2)

Land birds the same as always including 1 Indigo Bunting (blue &
brown) & 10 Cedar Waxwings after gnats at the bridge over the stream.

I could see it was not my day so I drove toward home & after lunch I
checked on some local places to see if there was any shorebird
habitat.

Techny Basin (main section)

Mud flats are back in the small pond & the stream has mud edges but
the only shorebird was one Killdeer. But the place looks like it's
ready for more.

Techny North

Good mud flats continue as do shorebirds but only the most common ones
with high numbers of Killdeer & small numbers of the rest which
included 2 Semipalmated Plovers.

Air Station Prairie

I am beginning to think that this place is not going to have
shorebirds this Summer as water levels don't seem to go down & there's
no sign of even the start of any mudflats.

Wood Dale Reservoir/Itasca Wetlands

Very, very high water & doubtful that any mudflats will be there in
the near future.

Bird-Of-The-Day goes to a singing WHITE EYED VIREO just east of Greene
Rd & on the north side of the pathway. It was singing in a lone Willow
tree in with Cottonwood trees. Mike Madsen had reported this guy a
couple of weeks ago but I had never found it until today. Even got to
see it while it was singing. Runner-Up to the female plumaged Green
Winged Teal.

Al Stokie
In DuPage & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>