Date: 8/8/17 5:43 am
From: Paul Stensvaag <red.tail1960...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Re: Cooper's Hawks Roost
Up ‚Äčtoday at 4 AM and heard the Great Horned Oil call. High in the Coopers
Hawk roosting tree, spotted his/her silhouette. I didn't know that when
they call, they move sharply forward and put their tail up! I always
imagined that it was an effortless who who who HU HU until this morning.
Later at 5:45 four Coopers Hawks returned and were quite animated in their
calls and antics along the dead branches.

Palatine, Cook CT.

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Paul Stensvaag <red.tail1960...>
wrote:

> 80 ft Tulip Tree died in 2012, never cut it down and is a feeding station
> for wood peckers of all kinds. This week, finally, has become a roost for
> Cooper's hawks up to 6 yesterday and the sight and sounds (some screeching)
> are amazing.
>
> They like the sight lines and frolic down toward the bee hive. I thought
> it was a mating ritual but when everyone else showed up, it appeared as
> happy playfulness !
>
> Palatine, Cook CT

Join us on Facebook!