Date: 8/8/17 5:22 am
From: Keenan Yakola <kyakola...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Seal Island NWR - Migrants
Lots of migrants coming through the island yesterday with some increased
diversity. Yellow Warblers and Northern Waterthrush numbers are steadily
increasing and we have also had singles of American Redstart and Prairie
Warbler. Shorebird numbers are on the rise as well with Semipalmated and
Least Sandpipers, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Semipalmated and
Black-bellied Plover, Ruddy Turnstones (included several banded birds), and
more unusual species for the island including Red Knot, Baird's Sandpiper
and the second record (to my best knowledge) of Upland Sandpiper. Other
migrants have included Cliff Swallow, Brown-headed Cowbirds, Cedar
Waxwings. The seas have quieted down a bit after a rush of Jaegers earlier
in the month but, Northern Gannet numbers are still strong. At least two
individuals have been landing and loafing with the cormorants throughout
the nesting season.

All the best,

Keenan Yakola