Date: 8/7/17 3:08 pm
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] Smith-Bybee birds and water level
The water level on Bybee Lake has recently been much lower than expected,
and has been continuing to drop. For the past few years the channel
between Smith Lake and Bybee Lake has been blocked, and the plan is to
create a larger channel between the lakes. To do that they apparently need
the lakes drained and so they are currently pumping water out of Bybee Lake
(while blocking its usual connection with the slough). I don't know when
this will be completed.

This morning the surface area of Bybee was probably about 2/3 of what it
would normally be so there's currently lots of good shorebird habitat.
Best birds were 2 Red-necked Phalaropes, 1 Bonaparte's Gull, and 1 Baird's
Sandpiper (among hundreds of peeps). There were lots of peeps at the Smith
Lake canoe launch site, but I did not find the Wilson's Phalarope reported
yesterday.

Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!